The Miles Franklin Literary Award 2014 longlist was announced last week. Regarded as the most prestigious literary award in Australia, I always look forward to the release of the list and the array of literary genius that it contains. This years list is made up of established and debut authors, all of whom are competing for $60,000 in prize money.
Last year’s winner, Questions of Travel, by Michelle de Kretser, was a fabulous read, one that I have shared with friends, and I highly recommend reading, if you’ve not already done so. I’ve currently only read one of the books on the 2014 longlist, and I’ll no doubt be adding more from the list to my bedside reading pile.
The 2014 longlist:
- The Life And Loves Of Lena Guant –Tracy Farr
- The Narrow Road to the Deep North – Richard Flanagan
- The Railwayman’s Wife – Ashley Hay
- Mullumbimby – Melissa Lucashenko
- The Night Guest – Fiona McFarlane
- Belomor – Nicolas Rothwell
- Game – Trevor Shearston
- My Beautiful Enemy – Cory Taylor
- Eyrie –Tim Winton
- The Swan Book – Alexis Wright
- All The Birds, Singing – Evie Wyld
The shortlist will be announced on 15 May 2014, and the winner will be announced on Thursday 26 June 2014.